If you are looking for a thin and light laptop that is powerful at the same time, you should be looking for the best ultrabooks. The term ultrabook was coined by Intel few years back and Intel said an ultrabook is slim and light but is also as capable as any mainstream laptop while offering super long battery life. A certain list of specifications were listed by Intel which we will discuss below.
1) Intel ultra low voltage processor – Every single ultrabook is powered by an Intel low voltage processor, popular known as just ULV processor. These processors have lower clock speeds which not only generate less heat but also helps the laptop deliver longer battery life. To keep performance good, higher clock speeds are available as turbo boost. This tech boost the clock speeds when there is heavy load. After the demanding work has completed, the CPU reduces itself back to original, low voltage. This is why ultrabook laptops have long battery life compared to standard voltage laptops.
2) SSD or hybird storage – For a laptop to be considered as an ultrabook, it ought to have either a SSD (solid state drive) or a hybrid drive that consists of both hard disk and SSD. An SSD ensures lightning fast app and operating system launch times. Read and writing operations are much faster than a typical hard disk. It is interesting to note that while earlier Intel did not allow manufactures to have hybrid storage onboard, Intel relaxed the rules later on.
3) Thin and light chassis – It is interesting to note that the ultrabooks are as light as the best netbooks of Canada. The ultrabooks pack bigger displays and are much more capable thanks to i3, i5 or i7 processors. Netbooks are limited to Intel Atom, low-end AMD and Celeron / Pentium chipsets. The newer M3/i3/i5/i7 kabylake / coffeelake Intel processors generate less heat and yield higher efficiency.
Other common feature that is found in all ultrabooks includes full HD or quad HD screens. For premium computing experience, you ought to have a laptop with full HD panel as they are shaper and show more information at a glance compared to standard HD cheap laptops.
Asus ZenBook UX330UA
Asus Zenbook UX330UA is one of the lightest and slimmest ultrabooks on sale in Canada. It features latest 7th generation i5 processor and responsive 256GB SSD so everything from startup to loading heavy applications happens in a flash. It has wide view 13” IPS display with full HD resolution for crisp and vivid display. There is fingerprint reader present on its glass-covered touchpad for effortless login and high end security. The backlit keyboard has 1.5mm key travel for extra comfort and responsiveness. Pair that with all day battery life and you are looking at the best ultrabook in Canada.
* 13.3-h FHD (1920*1080) matte display with Windows 10 Pre-installed
* Latest 7th generation Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5GHz processor, Fingerprint reader
* Fast 256GB SSD with 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1.2kg
* 1x Headphone-out and Audio-in Combo Jack; 2x USB 3.0; 1x * USB3.1 Type C (gen 1)
HP 13.3″ Spectre Notebook
HP Spectre 13 is a premium ultrabook that takes the design and technology to next level. Its beautiful carbon fiber chassis is mere 10.4mm thin and manufactured using CNC machines for artful refinement and durability. The 6th generation i5 processor ensures you have powerful computing experience while getting all-day battery life. Its makes use of PCIe SSD that is 17-times faster than a typical hard disk which makes it ideal for demanding users who multitask a lot. It also boasts Bang & Olufsen quad speakers for unmatched sound effects. The full size, chiclet backlit keyboard provides excellent typing feedback. Easily the best ultrabook of 2017.
* Intel Core i5-6200U Dual Core Processor (2.3GHz with turbo boost up to 2.8GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
* 13.3 diagonal fhd ips uwva brightview corning gorilla glass wled-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)
* 8 GB Lpddr3 SDRAM and 256 GB PCIE NVMe m.2 Solid State Drive
* Intel HD Graphics 520 with up to 4185 MB total Graphics Memory
* Windows 10 home
ASUS ZenBook UX306UA
Asus UX306 is made for power users in mind. Despite being only 1.4cm thin and weighing mere 1.2kg, the UX306 is the thinnest and lightest ultrabook in market. It is not just any lightweight laptop though since it packs i7 processor, 8GB RAM and whopping 512GB SSD. Battery life is amazing too – full 12 hours!
* ZenBook UX306 is designed to go everywhere you go
* Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB RAM and the latest USB Type-C port, 512GB SSD
* ZenBook UX306-Feet powerful battery and intelligent power management keep it working for up to 12-Hours with Wi-Fi-connected
HP Spectre X360
If you simply want the ultimate that the ultrabook industry has to offer, get the HP Spectre X360. There is nothing ordinary about it. You get whopping 16GB of superfast DDR4 RAM and quad HD display that display four times more pixels than conventional laptops. It is also touchscreen and responsive. You can rotate it and use it as tablet. The latest gen i7 processor is backed by Nvidia 940MX dedicated graphics card that handle your gaming and 3D modeling needs just fine.
* 7Th generation Intel Core i7-7500u Processor (2.7GHz base frequency, up to 3.5GHz with Intel turbo boost, 4MB L3 Cache)
* 15.6-Inch diagonal UHD edp brightview wled-backlit narrow bezel touch Screen (3840x 2160)
* 16 GB DDR4 SDRAM (2 DIMM) and 256 GB PCIE NVMe m.2 Solid State Drive
* Geforce 940MX Graphics; 2×2 802.11Ac wlan; bluetooth; multi-format digital media card reader; bang & olufsen with Dual speakers; USB 3.1 type-c
* Windows 10 home
Acer Swift 1
If you have a small budget for an ultrabook, we have you covered. Meet the Acer Swift 1 – an ultrabook that is cheap and offers powerful performance while still giving you perks like backlit keyboard, SSD and full HD display. All of these features are found in much more expensive laptops and ultrabooks.
* An embedded fingerprint reader is a quick and secure way for Windows Hello to verify your identity without a password
* 13.3″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display
* 4GB DDR3L SDRAM Onboard Memory, 64GB Internal Storage
* 1 – USB 3.1 Type C Gen 1 port, 2 – USB 3.0 Ports & 1 – USB 2.0 port, 1 – HDMI port
* 3-cell Li-Ion (3770 mAh) Battery, Up to 10 Hours Battery Life, Windows 10 Home operating system
Acer Spin 7
Acer Spin 7 is a high end, ultra thin convertible laptop that features extra ordinary battery life, uncompromising performance and latest specifications. Boasting an ultrathin 0.43” form factor, the Acer Spin 7 features the 7th generation i7 processor, upto 8-hours battery life and 14” full HD IPS display. The convertible screen offers you the freedom to use it in variety of modes – laptop, tent, tablet, presentation. Plus it is multitouch, so you can all of those iPad gestures on it.
* Intel Core i7-7Y75 processor (4 MB L3 cache, 1.30 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.60 GHz, DDR3L 1600 MHz, 4.5 W TDP), supporting Intel 64 architecture, Intel Smart Cache
* 14.0-Inch display with IPS (In-Plane Switching) technology, Full HD 1920 x1080, high-brightness Acer CineCrystal LED-backlit TFT LCD
* 8 GB of LPDDR3 SDRAM and 256 GB, SATA 6 Gb/s
HD Webcam; 802.11a/b/g/n/ac wireless LAN; 2×2 MU-MIMO technology; Bluetooth 4.1; Accelerometer; USB 3.1 ; HDMI
* Windows 10 Home 64-bit